1991 Subaru Alcyone SVX

CRAZY JDM #6
This is the Subaru SVX. Aka the SVX Alcyone. Alcyone is the star in the Subaru logo and this car was the 'star' in Subaru's car range at the time. Replacing the oddballish and boxy XT this car is one of a kind. It looks ugly, then it looks pretty. It looks luxurious, then tacky. It was even styled by Giugiaro. And its windows were huge. It reminds me of the Renault Avantime but even cooler.


WHY DO I RECOGNISE IT'S SHAPE?
A certain article I found has an answer and it's simple; they could have stolen it. Although not proven, they may have 'magpied' some of the design cues off of a Ford concept (see photos for more). Despite all that, I can still appreciate the car for what it is. A pinnacle of Subaru's creativity. If it were something like a BMW I'd guarantee it would sell - but this factor combined with the economy's collapse made it owe the company a loss equating to about 75 million (Ouch). Regardless, I prefer its styling to the Ford concept. And remember, you can't drive the Ford concept though, but you can drive this.

HOW FAST?
Not a Ferrari, but not a slouch either. Compare & contrast with the Eunos Cosmo.
230bhp
0-60 in 7.1 seconds
154mph

MORE PICTURES PLEASE!
This is how they showcased aerodynamics in the 90s
A whole load of meaty camera shots
Looks like this picture is from a brochure
Its predecessor, the Alcyone XT. I might cover this car in the future.
The comparison from the article I mentioned earlier.
CAN I BUY ONE?
Why, yes. they were sold in the US. They also depreciate a lot too so you decide if that's good or bad. If you're in the UK then you're in luck (if you're reading this once that car is sold then I'm very sorry). But regardless of where you are remember that this car is very rare even if not that pricey (£2,000 to £7,000).

CRAZY JDM RATING
Silly styling? YES
Silly engineering? NO
Silly idea behind it? YES
●●◦2/3 Although it's not the most bonkers JDM, it's close.

3 comments:

  1. The SVX was definitely sold in the US as the SVX. BTW, I had a Subaru XT6 AWD (one with a flat 6) and it was a blast to drive. It also had the most comfortable seat ever made!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I've been aware this car isn't a JDM for a couple of months now, I will edit to correct it soon. It's still a quirky Japanese car not many people have heard of so its still applicable for this blog.

    I'd imagine these Subaru coupes would be fun to drive and comfortable too. Great pieces of engineering they are.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, very comfortable and quick, very well designed throughout, hard to find a design flaw, well thought out, even called over engineered, but that is way everything is so good, my favorite car I have ever owned so far, and I have had many cars! Very under-priced, truly you get your moneys worth for what they are currently selling for, and I would imagine as time goes on their value will increase on the well maintained ones like mine. I would put a picture of mine here, it's the White and Black.

    ReplyDelete